As the security feature of Hotmail, it will ask for phone number or alternate email address during sign up (can be added later from Account settings) so that if user’s account has been compromised from outsiders, Hotmail can verify that user by sending Hotmail Login code also called security code to their phone or email. It is a bit annoying task as you see normally but this will help you a lot if you forget your password or account has been hacked or blocked.
During sign up process for creating new account in Hotmail, you have to give phone number and alternate email address. But they are optional fields so many users leave them blank. Don’t do so as it is one of the trusted verification process deemed by Hotmail service provider. You can just answer the security question for verification but chance persists that answer can be guessed by intruders. So if you are creating genuine personal account, you must give own phone number and alternate email address along with answering security question so that in future need, you can rely on any one of them.
When you forget password during Hotmail Login, there is option of resetting the password. And at one point during process of resetting the password, you have to enter Hotmail Login code sent to you by Hotmail. This Hotmail login code can be received via phone number or alternate email address you provided during sign up. The Hotmail service will ask you about how to send a security code to you. You can choose one of phone number or alternate email address. Once you receive a code, enter same and get your account verified. Although this process seems tedious, there is no other choice than doing so to get your account secured. And if your account get used by outsider or lose memory of password, this will come to your aid instantly. As most people say ‘Prevention is better than cure’, follow this too by giving additional information to Hotmail so that they can help you and you do not have to lose hold of your account in future.
What if you tried to sign in to Hotmail.com just to find that your account had been blocked. Blocked Hotmail account can be result of various reasons but mostly errors of yourself. It will be frustrating if you are expecting very important email and not being able to open Hotmail account. Not to worry much as I will point out all possible reasons with solutions to get rid of those problems. Stay with this article till end!
There is not always the same case to get account blocked. Mostly is due to:
- Entering wrong password and reached limited number of tries to enter password.
- Someone just hacked Hotmail account.
- Sending lot of junk messages.
- Playing pirated Xbox 360 games in your system.
- Misuse of services like SkyDrive to store adult materials.
- Account hijacked by spammers to sent spam emails from your account
- And the one you should always remember is not to violate rules and regulations depicted by Hotmail during creation of new account which you had to agree upon.
To prevent above conditions to happen, you should protect account with strong password and keep it secret and be careful not to violate terms and conditions from Windows Live Terms of Service. Doing this also cannot guarantee to stop blocking of Hotmail Account. If happen so you try following options to have your account back.
- You can just start recovery process after having blocked message by answering correct one to the original security question. And after giving correct answers you can reset password to use for unblocking the Hotmail account.
- If your account has been temporarily blocked, you have to verify your account giving all personal information asked for so that Hotmail support can send you code via sms or email to alternate email address for unblocking account.
- You can get help contacting Hotmail Support by giving exact error message to them. They will provide assistance to help with blocked Hotmail account.
- You can ask for new password in alternate email address which is given during sign up process. But for this you must had given as this is optional during sign up and given email address must be working.
- Sometime this problem can be caused due to your computer configuration. So use different computer to login to account. If worked there you can fix errors on your computer by going to troubleshooting page for Hotmail.
As there are many reasons and solutions to blocked Hotmail account, many people just discard the old one and follow the easy sign up process to create new account. But this may be easiest solution but not perfect one as most people have their important documents and emails in their inbox. For most cases, above solutions will get rid of that problem.