IMAP also known as internet messenger access protocol is a set up rule which govern the simultaneous communication between mail server and email client. Recently a Hotmail also embedded this Hotmail IMAP feature in their webmail service, to enable this feature in your email you have go through some manual steps. Another advantage of this protocol is it will work offline as well. Normally the protocol represents the set of rules, in this case the Hotmail IMAP is the specific set of rules that govern the two way communication when sending and receiving the emails. Before IMAP all the Hotmail emails are governed by the POP(post office protocol) and still it was on use, but the due to some advanced features most people prefer to use email service including this one. To make this service available in your email client you have to configure your settings by some standard values. Let’s go through the complete set up process to enable IMAP.
Set Up Process for Hotmail IMAP
- First we have to find the incoming server, and then you find the place that will ask you for the port number, the number would ne 993 SSL for more ideas you can get more ideas here.
- Enter the exact same value, now you can write ‘NONE’ in the password scheme. There is the dropdown menu and select the above prescribed.
- Next thing to access the sending server, then will ask you for the authentication by entering your hotmail login details. This will work on the same account to which you providing login details. If you hold other account as well you have to go through same process again so make sure which would you like to go on for the first.
- The step will ask you to enter the port number which would be 587 start TLS or you can use SSL if the TLS is not working.
- At the last you have choose the password scheme which would be ‘PLAIN’ and the process is done.
The Microsoft recently implemented the Hotmail IMAP based interface, the reason behind this are obvious that people nowadays are using multiple smart devices. They are not only rely on one particular device to access the email services, so in such case the IMAP will be the best protocol to access multiple device email synchronization.