People may get infuriated not to have new email alerts from email service provider. They can miss really important emails if they do not refresh the account page to see if there is new message or not. But Microsoft’s Hotmail email service (now Outlook email service) has not considered to put a service of new email notification or sound alert on new email to its email clients. Hotmail service provider that will be Microsoft; totally ignored Hotmail email alerts in Hotmail web-based email service.
But still there is some way to do so! If you are using Microsoft’s Internet Explorer 9, then task-bar notification feature can be used for new Hotmail login alerts. For this, just pin Hotmail to taskbar and see the number of new messages in your inbox there in task-bar and the icon can be clicked to get into your Hotmail inbox directly. And the people who are using Windows Live Mail in your PC, you can set up sound notification for new emails in inbox of Hotmail account. To set up sound alerts:
- Launch Windows Live Mail, and Press ‘Ctrl+F’.
- Then select ‘Tools > Options > Sounds > New Email Message’ and choose desired sound.
- Click ‘Apply’ and then ‘OK’ to save changes. Now whenever new email received in your inbox, saved sound is played to alert you.
The other option is to get SMS alert in mobile for new emails in Hotmail inbox but there is risk of lots of text messages in your phone. You can use mobile alert filters to specify what emails to trigger the alert. To receive Hotmail email alerts via SMS:
- First of all, launch Windows Live Mail and sign in to Hotmail account.
- Select ‘Options’ by going to upper-right corner of page and by putting mouse over your username.
- Click ‘Mail’ option and choose ‘Mobile alerts for new messages’ under ‘Customize your Mail’ section.
- If you haven’t given mobile number during sign up, you are prompted to enter number. Wait for verification code and enter code to get your phone number validated.
- You can change mobile alert filters under ‘Which Hotmail messages do you want to receive mobile alerts for?’.
- Click ‘Save’ button and get new message for every new email received in Hotmail inbox.
But one thing to remember is if your mobile service provider charge you for receiving SMS too, then you will be charged every time you get new message i.e. for Hotmail email alerts.