The IMAP stands for Internet Message Access protocol that allows an e-mail client to access e-mail on a remote mail server. The IMAP listens on well-known port 143. IMAP is a two-way email checking, you read or delete and email on phone or any other email client such as Hotmail, the email is updated in your account as well. It means if you have already setup Hotmail IMAP setting and delete Hotmail email from your phone, it will be deleted from your account as well. Though IMAP has various advantages over other protocol but Hotmail does not support this protocol. However, it can be set up on you iPhone and Android devices.
IPHONE IMAP SETTING:
Choose Microsoft Exchange
Fill in the fields shown (Leave domain blank and your login should be your hotmail email address)
Click next and it will ask for server. Use m.hotmail.com
Choose if you want your email, contacts or calendar synce
ANDROID IMAP SETTING:
1. Open the Mail app.
2. Hit the menu button > Add account
3. Enter your Hotmail e-mail address and password.
4. Press Manual setup (don’t press Next!)
5. For account, select Exchange.
6. On the Server settings page, clear out the Domain Username field and enter your Hotmail address.
7. Change the Server to m.hotmail.com (without the quotes).
8. Keep the checkboxes the way they are (Use secure connection enabled, but don’t accept all SSL certificates)
9. Press Next.
10. Once the server settings are confirmed, you’ll be asked for how far back you’d like to sync your e-mail, contacts and calendars.